Donnerstag, 26. November 2015

Face the truth



Madagascar an island of beauty“ full of incredible wildlife and richness of endemic species.
That's the subtitle of the Madagascar documentary from I am holding in my hand right now. This is exactly what is spread in the world, what people think about this island how they picture it and I would bet probably you do so too.
To be honest I thought the same, an island so different, untouched, a miracle I am going to discover.

I am here now, open eyes and ears discovering this country.
Already the first impressions and things i saw made me guess that this is more an fairy-tale than truth nowadays. But still I was thinking that with time and new places this image will come back to me that this island will overwhelm me with its beauty.

It's time to face the truth for you and me it's time to realize in what time we live now. Nature is not anymore what it was, human are overflowing this planet and even this country is not protected by it. Destruction, pollution and poverty is what rules the world. Let's open our eyes and mind and realize the incredible damage this country experienced and still is.

I was talking with a tourist from Europe coming here now the 5th time in over 20 years. „It's a sad story what this country is facing, a story of lost, every time we get here more is destroyed, it's impossible to recognize it any more. You are driving trough land where i have seen trees, flowers and live before, now i only see empty and dry land. It's our last time here now, we get old and can not take this anymore. 
We love this country and everything with in it, the animals, the diversity and what we experienced. But now this are not more than stories to tell. Talking in past talking what was there where now is nothing but ash“

They were not the only person telling me this. I can see it with my eyes, not sure they are wed from the picture they are facing our the smoke from burned trees in the air, probably both.
90% of the former existing forest is destroyed already. What is left is separated in a few patches of land keeping alive trough national parks. And even in protected zones the density of animals get less and less.

Every day I see ranger and guides of the forest I live in, the forest they are supposed to protect cutting down trees, to burn or construct something. People have lost their understanding of nature and its importance.
I am working with chameleons which are probably not there in less than 50 years. Even the scientist working here are loosing their hope. 

A story of lost and damage, to deep and rapid to repair.
The island of sun and life will be dead and covered in ash.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen